Thursday, May 24, 2007

Legal Advice Required

A month ago, i received a parking penalty notice from Ryde Council for $77.

My crime? I had parked my car the wrong way around in the car park at our local council swimming pool.

Not that i was parked in a place likely to obstruct traffic, or impede traffic flow, or invading another's private property, but i was simply the wrong way around in a deserted car park. I parked nose to kerb. This was banned. Only rear to kerb was allowed.

I called up the council and disputed the fine on the basis that i) its an excessive amount of money for such a trivial offence and ii) i have never heard of anything so ridiculous in all my life.

They denied my claim and insist on getting their $77.

I can pay but won't pay because this is just government theft. It's not even well disguised theft.

They tell me that i can see them in court.

Is this wise? Or should i back down and pay?

Legal opinions welcomed