Sunday, April 01, 2007

No, I Am Not F***ing Sorry


I hereby unreservedly DO NOT apologise for

i) my great-great-great-great-great-great-great great-great-great-great grandfather's role in the slave trade

ii) my contribution to global warming by producing two offspring and owning a dog

iii) my personal contribution to the plight of the Palestine people

I also do not seek an apology from Christian, a nice German colleague, for his grandfather's role in WWII. Nor do i blame Francois, a French colleague, for his ancestor Guillaume The Conqueror's role in the genocide of my forefathers, the Anglo-Celts of olde England.

However, i DO wish to apologise to Mr. Denham, a sweet shop owner in Guildford, for the pack of polos i nicked when i was at school, and to Rebecca, an ex-girlfriend, for cheating on her when we were at College. Shameful episodes for which i am truly sorry.

nb - If i did wish to apologise for my ancestors' role in the slave trade, exactly who should i apologise TO?

Am i embarassed by my country's role in the Slave Trade? Yes.
Am i proud of my country's role in ending the Slave Trade? Yes.